|Project Title||Development of Ac/Ds Transposon Tagging System in Rice for Isolation of Agronomically Important Genes|
|Project Type||Contained Use (Glasshouse)|
|Status||Stopped. The proponent resigned from PhilRice.|
|Name of Institution||Philippine Rice Research Institute (PhilRice),Maligaya, Science City of Muñoz, Nueva Ecija,(044) 456-0426/0415 ext. 259|
|Cooperating Institution||Kobe University, Japan|
|Project Leader(s)||Renando Solis, Project Leader|
|Experimental Facility/Site||PhilRice, Nueva Ecija, Philippines|
|Purpose / Objectives||1. To produce transgenic indica rice lines that carry the Ac and Ds transposons from maize and the selection markers phosphinothricin acetyl transferase gene (bar), hygromycin B phosphotransferase (hph) and â-glucoronidase gene (GUS)
2. To examine the expression and transposition activity of Ac and Ds in transformed rice seedlings.
|Biosafety measures||1. Transgenic plants will be kept in isolation in the CL2 glasshouse. Security measures will be taken to prevent access from unauthorized personnel.
2. Panicles and flower clusters of the transgenic rice plants will be bagged before anthesis to prevent pollen dispersal and contamination.
3. Plant tissue samples for analysis will be transformed in sealed plastic bags inside an ice chest from the glasshouse to the laboratory.
4. The test plants and soil used will be incinerated/sterilized upon termination of the experiments.
5. Seeds harvested from primary transgenic plants and their progenies will be sealed in aluminum foil packages, properly labeled and stored in a secured isolated place.
6. When no longer needed, seeds from transgenic plants will be destroyed by autoclaving and disposed properly.
|Conditions for Approval||N/A|
|Date of Approval||2001-02-16|
|Subject||Request of Dr. Philbert Bonilla for proposal endorsement|
|Requesting Party||Dr. Philbert Bonilla, Chairman, PHILRICE- IBC|
|Action of NCBP||Approved for implementation.|