|Project Title||Molecular Tools for Achieving Apomixis in Rice|
|Project Type||Contained Use (Greenhouse)|
|Name of Institution||International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), Los Baños, Laguna|
|Cooperating Institution||Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (CSIRO), Australia|
|Project Leader(s)||John Bennett, Senior Molecular Biologist|
|Experimental Facility/Site||IRRI, Philippines|
|Purpose / Objectives||1. To use biolistic transformation to evaluate the rice nucellus- specific gene (OsAsp1) promoter function and expression pattern, in order to confirm a nucellus-specific promoter suitable for timely induction of asexual embryogenesis in the rice nucellus.
2. To transfer to rice chimeric cytokinin biosynthesis gene in which the isopentenyl transferase (ipt) gene from Agrobacterium tumefaciens is controlled by OsAsp1 promoter from rice.
3. To transfer to rice of the OsAsp1: gusA construct to understand the regulation of OsAsp1 promoter function in rice.
|Biosafety measures||1. The transgenic rice produced will be grown in the Transgenic Greenhouse, a facility with containment capabilities.
2. The flowers of the plants will be bagged to prevent spread of pollen in the environment.
3. Seeds will be harvested, stored, and analyzed for transformation.
4. All plant tissues and soil will be autoclaved and incinerated.
|Conditions for Approval||N/A|
|Date of Approval||2001-11-17|
|Subject||Request of Dr. Darshan Brar for proposal endorsement|
|Requesting Party||Dr. Darshan S. Brar, Chairperson, IRRI-IBC|
|Action of NCBP||Approved for implementation|