|Project Title||Development of DNA- Based Detection Procedures for Genetically Modified Plants|
|Project Type||Contained Use|
|Name of Institution||National Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology (NIMBB), UP Diliman, Quezon City|
|Supervising IBC||UP Diliman-IBC|
|Project Leader(s)||Cynthia Hedreyda, Associate Professor|
|Experimental Facility/Site||NIMBB-UP Diliman, Philippines|
|Purpose / Objectives||1. To perform extensive literature search on modified genes that have been introduced into plants (GMO) that the Philippines imports (or would possibly import) as seeds and seedlings.
2. To optimize DNA extraction from seeds and seedlings of corn and soybean.
3. To design PCR primers for the amplification of introduced genes and to optimize parameters for PCR.
4. To develop a quick PCR- based and non- radioactive DNA hybridization procedures for the routine detection and monitoring of genetically modified genes.
|Biosafety measures||1. E. coli JM 105 and/or DH5 cells will be handled inside class II biological safety cabinet.
2. Equipment, glassware, and other materials to be used in handling bacteria will be properly rinsed with bleach and detergent, and sterilized by autoclaving.
3. Materials to be disposed of will also be decontaminated by autoclaving prior to disposal.
|Conditions for Approval||N/A|
|Date of Approval||2002-04-23|
|Subject||Request of Dr. Cynthia Hedreyda for acquiring non- viable samples of transgenic corn and soybeans|
|Requesting Party||Dr. Cynthia Hedreyda, Associate Professor|
|Action of NCBP||Approved for implementation|