|Project Title||Evaluation of the Agronomic Performance of the Transgenic Golden Indica Rice|
|Project Type||Contained Use (Screenhouse)|
|Name of Institution||International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), Los Baños, Laguna|
|Cooperating Institution||Golden Rice Networking Countries (Philippines|
|Project Leader(s)||Swapan K. Datta, Plant Biotechnologist|
|Experimental Facility/Site||IRRI, Laguna, Philippines|
|Purpose / Objectives||To evaluate the agronomic performance of the transgenic golden indica rice with genes for beta- carotene biosynthesis and development of homozygous transgenic lines.|
|Biosafety measures||1. The access to the screen house would be for limited staff only with record of entry in the log book maintained at CS07.
2. CS07 facility is adequate to prevent entry of rats and birds.
3. Disposal of plant materials would be through burning of straw.
4. Volunteer plants (if any) would be allowed to grow for 4-5 weeks after harvesting of transgenic trial and buried back in the soil.
5. Transgenic and non- transgenic seeds will be kept hermetically sealed aluminum foil packages and stored in locked refrigerators.
6. The golden rice seeds will be shared with NARES partners in different rice growing countries.
|Conditions for Approval||N/A|
|Date of Approval||2003-07-29|
|Subject||Request of Dr. Darshan Brar for proposal endorsement.|
|Requesting Party||Dr. Darshan Brar, Chairman, IRRI- IBC|
|Action of NCBP||Approved for implementation|