|Project Title||Evaluation of the Agronomic Performance of Bacterial Blight Resistant Transgenic Indica Rice Culitvars with Xa21 Gene|
|Project Type||Contained Use (Screenhouse)|
|Name of Institution||International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), Los Baños, Laguna|
|Cooperating Institution||EPPD and PBGB staff|
|Project Leader(s)||Swapan K. Datta, Plant Biotechnologist|
|Experimental Facility/Site||IRRI, Laguna, Philippines|
|Purpose / Objectives||1. To evaluate the agronomic performance of the transgenic rice lines and expression of Xa21 gene for bacterial blight (BB) resistance.
2. To identify elite lines for BB resistance.
3. To multiply the seed of elite transgenic lines.
|Biosafety measures||1. The access to the screen house would be for limited staff only with record of entry in the log book maintained at CS07.
2. CS07 facility is adequate to prevent entry of rats and birds.
3. Disposal of plant materials would be through burning.
4. Volunteer plants (if any) would be allowed to grow for 4-5 weeks after harvesting of transgenic trial and buried back in the soil.
5. Transgenic and non- transgenic seeds will be kept hermetically sealed aluminum foil packages and stored in locked refrigerators at the Tissue Culture Laboratory, IRRI.
|Conditions for Approval||N/A|
|Date of Approval||2003-07-29|
|Subject||Request of Dr. Darshan Brar for proposal endorsement.|
|Requesting Party||Dr. Darshan Brar, Chairman, IRRI- IBC|
|Action of NCBP||Approved for implementation|