|Project Title||Evaluation of the Agronomic Performance of the Transgenic Indica Rice Lines Containing Different Bt Genes for Stemborer Resistance|
|Project Type||Contained Use (Screenhouse)|
|Name of Institution||International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), Los Baños, Laguna|
|Cooperating Institution||EPPD and PBGB staff|
|Project Leader(s)||Swapan K. Datta, Plant Biotechnologist|
|Experimental Facility/Site||IRRI, Laguna, Philippines|
|Purpose / Objectives||1. To evaluate the agronomic performance of the transgenic lines.
2. To identify elite indica lines resistant to stemborer.
3. Multiplication of seeds of elite lines homozygous for Bt genes.
|Biosafety measures||1. The access to the screen house would be for limited staff only.
2. A logbook will be maintained in CS07 to record the entry of personnel.
3. CS07 facility is adequate to prevent entry of rats and birds.
4. Disposal of plant materials would be through burning of straw.
5. Transgenic and non- transgenic seeds will be kept in hermetically sealed aluminum foil packages and stored in locked refrigerators.
6. Volunteer plants (if any) will be allowed to grow for 4-5 weeks after harvesting and buried back in the soil.
|Conditions for Approval||N/A|
|Date of Approval||2003-07-29|
|Subject||Request of Dr. Darshan Brar for proposal endorsement.|
|Requesting Party||Dr. Darshan Brar, Chairman, IRRI- IBC|
|Action of NCBP||Approved for implementation|