|Project Title||Development of transgenic rice tolerant to drought|
|Project Type||Contained Use (Greenhouse)|
|Name of Institution||International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), Los Banos, Laguna|
|Cooperating Institution||Biological Resources Division|
|Project Leader(s)||Gerard Barry|
|Experimental Facility/Site||Tissue Culture and Genetic Engineering Laboratory (TCGE) of Plant Breeding, Genetics and Biotechnology Division, IRRI|
|Purpose / Objectives||• To produce transgenic rice by introducing (Rice lip9 promoter-OsDREB1A) promoter-gene construct for the expression of the stress tolerance DREB (dehydration responsive element binding) cDNA genes from drought responsive promoters and to impart superior drought tolerance in rice varieties/breeding lines as IR64, IR68144, BR29
• and to evaluate transgenic lines for eventual release in a number of countries, including the Philippines, India, Bangladesh, China, and elsewhere.
|Biosafety measures||• The tested plants will be kept in isolation in the CL4 transgenic greenhouse to prevent access of unauthorized personnel.
• The plant materials for disposal will be placed in sealed plastic bags.
• The plants grown in CL4 will be destroyed and the pots and soil will be autoclaved at high temperature and high pressure.
• The plant material from screenhouse (CS07) would be disposed through burning of straw
• The access to the CS07 would be for limited staff only
• A logbook will be maintained in CS07 to record the entry of personnel
• CS07 would be kept under lock
• CS07 facility is adequate to prevent rats, birds, etc.
• Transgenic seeds harvested from CL4 and CS07 will be kept in hermetically sealed aluminum foil packages and stored in locked refrigerators designated for storage of transgenic seeds in TCGE Laboratory of IRRI. Movement of all materials will be done in compliance of all relevant biosafety and phytosanitary requirements of the Philippines.
|Conditions for Approval||N/A|
|Date of Approval||2006-01-28|
|Subject||Request of Dr. Brar for NCBP approval|
|Requesting Party||Dr. Darshan S. Brar, Chairperson, IRRI-IBC|
|Action of NCBP||Approved for implementation|