|Project Title||Development of Transgenic Rice with Increased Levels of Free Lysine|
|Project Type||Contained Use|
|Name of Institution||International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), Los Baños, Laguna|
|Supervising IBC||Biosafety Committee of IRRI|
|Project Leader(s)||Philippe Herve, Molecular Biologist, IRRI|
|Experimental Facility/Site||*Biotechnology Laboratory, Plant Breeding, Genetics and Biotechnology Division, IRRI|
|Purpose / Objectives||*To produce transgenic rice expressing the lysine biosynthetic gene dapA from the food organism, Corynebacterium glutamicum, in the endosperm.
*To determine the level of increase in free lysine in such transgenic events and to select those in which the lysine content is increased by about 30%.
*Evaluate these subsequent materials for release in a number of countries, including the Philippines, India, Bangladesh, China, and elsewhere.
*No materials will be imported for this project: the dapA gene will be cloned at IRRI using PCR from a sample of Corynebacterium glutamicum that will be obtained from the Philippine Microbial Collection Unit at BIOTECH/UP Los Baños.
|Biosafety measures||1. The tested plants will be kept in isolation in the CL4 transgenic greenhouse to prevent access of unauthorized personnel.
2. The plant materials for disposal will be placed in sealed plastic bags.
3. The plants grown in CL4 will be destroyed and the pots and soil will be autoclaved at high temperature and high pressure.
4. The plant material from the screenhouses (e.g. CS07 and others) would be disposed trough burning o straw.
5. The access to the screenhouses would be for limited staff only.
6. A logbook will be maintained in the screenhouses to record the entry of personnel.
7. The screenhouses would be kept under lock.
8. The screenhouses facilities are adequate to prevent entry of rats, birds, etc.
9. Transgenic seeds harvested from CL4 and the screenhouses will be kept in hermetically sealed aluminum foil packages and stored in locked refrigerators designated for storage of transgenic seeds in TCGE Laboratory of IRRI.
10. Movement of all materials will be done in compliance of all relevant biosafety and phytosanitary requirements of the Philippines.
|Conditions for Approval||For record keeping purposes of NCBP, the
following are requested to be submitted:
1.identification of the cloning vector
2.map of the plasmid
3.map of the final construct specifying any termination sequences
4.comprehensive characteristics/full description of the promoter gluten
|Date of Approval||2007-07-27|
|Subject||For NCBP approval of the revised proposal|
|Requesting Party||Dr. Darshan S. Brar, Chairperson, IRRI-IBC|
|Action of NCBP||Approved for implementation subject to
compliance with the biosafety measures indicated in the proposal.