|Project Title||Validation of Regulatory elements in the promoter and the intron of the submergence tolerance gene Sub1 A in rice using transgenic approaches|
|Project Type||Contained Use|
|Name of Institution||International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), Los Baños, Laguna|
|Supervising IBC||Biosafety of Committee of IRRI|
|Project Leader(s)||Dr. Sigrid Heuer, Dr. D.J. Mackill and Dr. Philippe Herve|
|Experimental Facility/Site||Biotechnology Laboratory, IRRI; transgenic plants will be grown in IRRI\'s CL4 facilities|
|Purpose / Objectives||*Understanding the regulation of expression of the submergence tolerance gene Sub1 A by functional validation of specific cis-regulatory elements in the promoter of the gene.
*Analyze if small RNAs derived from a MITE transposon in the intron of the Sub1 A gene is important for submergence tolerance and involved in auto-regulation of Sub1 A and/or regulation of downstream target genes.
*Reveal temporal and spatial expression pattern of Sub1 A
* Some activities needed in this proposal will be a component of the thesis of PH.D. student of Namrata Singh
|Biosafety measures||* The tested plants will be kept in isolation in the CL4 transgenic greenhouse to prevent access of unauthorized personnel.
* The plant materials for disposal will be placed in sealed plastic bags.
* The plants grown in CL4 will be destroyed and the pots and soil will be autoclaved at high temperature and high pressure.
* The plant material from screenhouse (CS07) would be disposed through burning of straw
* The access to the CS07 would be for limited staff only
* A logbook will be maintained in CS07 to record the entry of personnel
* CS07 would be kept under lock
* CS07 facility is adequate to prevent rats, birds, etc.
* Transgenic seeds harvested from CL4 and CS07 will be kept in hermetically sealed aluminum foil packages and stored in locked refrigerators designated for storage of transgenic seeds in TCGE Laboratory of IRRI. Movement of all materials will be done in compliance of all relevant biosafety and phytosanitary requirements of the Philippines.
|Conditions for Approval||* Clarification of the exact location where the experiment will be conducted.
* For NCBP record keeping purposes, submission of the plasmid map of the transformation vector and enumeration of the activities that will be handled by the Ph.D. student, Namrata Singh.
|Date of Approval||2007-10-13|
|Subject||For NCBP approval of the revised proposal|
|Requesting Party||Dr. Darshan S. Brar, Chairperson, IRRI-IBC|
|Action of NCBP||Approved for implementation subject to compliance with all biosafety measures indicated in the proposal.|