|Project Title||Bio-fortification of rice for iron using iron transport-related gene(s)|
|Project Type||Contained Use|
|Name of Institution||International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), Los Baños, Laguna|
|Supervising IBC||IRRI Biosafety Committee|
|Project Leader(s)||Philippe Herve, Molecular Biologist, IRRI|
|Experimental Facility/Site||Biotechnology Laboratory, PBGB Division,|
|Purpose / Objectives||* To make new vectors containing ferritin gene(s) and iron transport related gene(s)
* To generate transgenic rice plants expressing the ferritin gene(s) and iron transport-related gene(s)
* To evaluate the iron content in the endosperm of the transgenic seeds and yield components
* To evaluate the effect of combining ferritin and iron transport-related gene(s)
|Biosafety measures||* Primary tranformants will be evaluated for DNA integration. The PCR and southern experiments will be done in the Biotechnology laboratory.
* Selected transformants will be evaluated for regulatory element activity. These experiments will be conducted in the approved transgenic facilities (CL and screenhouses CS01/CS07)
* All vectors will be kept in the plasmid collection of the Biotechnology laboratory.
* All transgenic seeds will be stored in the central transgenic seeds storage facility with restricted access.
* All transformants (plant tissues) except T1 seeds and subsequent progenies will be autoclaved after analysis. Soil used to grow transgenic plants in CL4 will also be autoclaved prior and after use.
|Conditions for Approval||N/A|
|Date of Approval||2007-10-13|
|Subject||For NCBP approval of the revised proposal|
|Requesting Party||Dr. Darshan S. Brar, Chairperson, IRRI-IBC|
|Action of NCBP||Approved for implementation subject to compliance with all biosafety measures indicated in the proposal.|