|Project Title||Development of Regeneration System for Biolistic-mediated Transformation for Abaca (Musa textiles Nee) Resistant to Abaca Bunchy Top Virus (ABTV)|
|Project Type||Contained Use|
|Name of Institution||Crop Science Cluster|
|Cooperating Institution||1424 Quezon Ave., Quezon City
Asia Trust Bank Annex Building
Fiber Industry Development Authority (FIDA), Quezon City
National Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology (NIMBB), UP Diliman, Quezon City
• DR. VERMANDO M. AQUINO
• MS. JOSEPHINE B. REGALADO
|Project Leader(s)||Evalour T. Aspuria, Ph.D|
|Experimental Facility/Site||• Plant Tissue Culture Laboratory|
|Purpose / Objectives||• To develop the regeneration system for biolistic-mediated transformation of abaca resistant to abaca bunchy top virus.
• To induce scalp and globule formation for the establishment of embryogenic cell suspension cultures for transformation.
• To induce somatic embryogenesis in bombarded embryogenic cell cultures.
• To germinate, select and micropropagate putative abaca transformants resistant to abaca bunchy top virus (ABTV).
|Biosafety measures||• Containment capabilities of laboratory
The putative transgenic plants will be contained in the IPB-CSC Biochemistry Laboratory.
• Sterilization procedures
All experimental plants, including media, and glassware will be sterilized or autoclaved.
• Personnel awareness of biosafety procedures
All personnel involved are aware of the biosafety procedures.
• Past history of biosafety in laboratory
The IPB-CSC Biochemistry Laboratory is already certified by NCBP for use in genetic engineering studies and had a good history of biosafety such as all wastes are decontaminated, laboratory gowns are available, insects and rodents control.
• Labeling/designation of risk areas
To be followed
• Decontamination facilities
Autoclaves will be provided in the IPB-CSC Biochemistry Laboratory.
• “Biosafetiness” of equipment
The IPB-CSC Biochemistry Laboratory equipment follows standard specifications.
|Conditions for Approval||N/A|
|Date of Approval||2008-05-24|
|Subject||UPLB-IBC’s endorsement of the proposal for NCBP approval.|
|Requesting Party||Dr. Adelina A. Barrion, Chairman, UPLB-IBC|
|Action of NCBP||Approved for implementation|