|Project Title||Evaluation of transgenic rice lines containing salycilic acid biosynthetic pathway genes for blast and sheath blight resistance|
|Project Type||Contained Use (Screenhouse)|
|Status||Terminated. Since results did not show sufficient blast infection in most of the materials and the current biosafety facility is not designed for optimum blast fungay assay, the experiments were no longer pursued.|
|Name of Institution||International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), Los Baños, Laguna|
|Cooperating Institution||• Institute of Biology, Leiden, The Netherlands
• R&D Centre for Biotechnology, Indonesian Institute of Sciences (P2Biotek-LIPI)
|Supervising IBC||International Rice Research Institute (IRRI)-IBC|
|Project Leader(s)||r. Inez H. Slamet-Loedin|
|Experimental Facility/Site||• Rice Biotechnology Laboratory (PBGB), IRRI • Transgenic CL4 green house • Laboratory in DLUL Building (Molecular Plant Pathology Lab, EM-Annex) – only for disease inoculation preparation • Transgenic plants will be grown under controlled conditions in C|
|Purpose / Objectives||• To evaluate the effectiveness of transgenic plants harboring salicylic acid biosynthetic pathway genes for blast and sheath blight diseases in rice.
• Transgenic seeds of 2 Nipponbare (japonica) and 5 Rojolele (indica) lines and 2 non-transgenic varieties will be imported from Research Centre for Biotechnology-Indonesian Institute of Sciences (P2Bioteknologi-LIPI), Indonesia
|Biosafety measures||• The tested plants will be kept in isolation in the CL4 transgenic greenhouse to prevent access of unauthorized personnel.
• The plant materials for disposal will be placed in sealed plastic bags.
• The plants grown in CL4 will be destroyed and the pots and soil will be autoclaved at high temperature and high pressure.
• The plant material from screenhouse (CS07) would be disposed through burning of straw
• The access to the CS07 would be for limited staff only
• A barcode system was installed at CS07 to record the entry of personnel
• CS07 would be kept under lock
• CSO7 facility is adequate to prevent rats, birds, etc.
• Transgenic seeds harvested from CL4 and CSO7 will be kept in hermetically sealed aluminum foil packages and stored in locked refrigerators designated for storage of transgenic seeds in TCGE Laboratory at IRRI. Movement of all materials will be done in compliance of all relevant Biosafety and phytosanitary requirements of the Philippines.
|Conditions for Approval||N/A|
|Date of Approval||2008-06-17|
|Regulated Materials||• Rojolele EntC/pmsB line E.10.1.27 • Rojolele EntC/pmsB line E.10.1.5 • Rojolele EntC/pmsB line E.10.1.1 • Rojolele EntC/pmsB free marker line B.1.1 • Rojolele EntC/pmsB free marker line A.1.1 • 2 Nipponbare (japonica) • 2 non transgenic varieties|
|Source||Research Centre for Biotechnology – Indonesian Institute Sciences (P2 Bioteknologi-LIPI), Indonesia|
|Subject||IRRI-IBC\'s endorsement of the proposal for NCBP approval|
|Action of NCBP||Approved for implementation|