|Project Title||Production of IR64 transgenic rice using HD Zip genes for drought tolerance and evaluation of Rojolele rice cultivar harboring Oshox-4 gene|
|Project Type||Contained Use|
|Name of Institution||International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), Los Banos, Laguna|
|Cooperating Institution||• Institute of Biology, Leiden, The Netherlands
• R&D Centre for Biotechnology, Indonesian Institute of Sciences (P2Biotek-LIPI)
|Supervising IBC||International Rice Research Institute (IRRI)-IBC|
|Project Leader(s)||Dr. Inez H. Slamet Loedin|
|Experimental Facility/Site||• Tissue Culture and Genetic Engineering Laboratory (TCGE) of Plant Breeding, Genetics and Biotechnology Division, IRRI • Transgenic plants will be grown under controlled conditions in CL4 greenhouse and subsequently in the screen house (CS07 – low level|
|Purpose / Objectives||• To produce transgenic IR 64 harboring rice homebox genes (Oshox genes from HD Zip family) for drought resistance.
• To evaluate the phenotype of transgenic plants cv Rojolele harboring HD Zip gene (Os-hox4) under drought condition. For this purpose transgenic seeds of 5 independent lines will be imported from Indonesia.
|Biosafety measures||• The tested plants will be kept in isolation in the CL4 transgenic greenhouse to prevent access of unauthorized personnel.
• The plant materials for disposal will be placed in sealed plastic bags.
• The plants grown in CL4 will be destroyed and the pots and soil will be autoclaved at high temperature and high pressure.
• The plant material from screenhouse (CS07) would be disposed through burning of straw
• The access to the CS07 would be for limited staff only
• A logbook will be maintained in CSO7 to record the entry of personnel
• CS07 would be kept under lock
• CSO7 facility is adequate to prevent rats, birds, etc.
• Transgenic seeds harvested from CL4 and CSO7 will be kept in hermetically sealed aluminum foil packages and stored in locked refrigerators designated for storage of transgenic seeds in TCGE Laboratory of IRRI. Movement of all materials will be done in compliance of all relevant Biosafety and phytosanitary requirements of the Philippines.
|Conditions for Approval||N/A|
|Date of Approval||2008-06-17|
|Regulated Materials||Rojolele 35s – Oshox 4 line C.4.2.17; Rojolele 35s – Oshox 4 line C.8.1.2; Rojolele 35s – Oshox 4 line C.13.1.1; Nipponbare 35S – Oshox4 line A.1.1.1; Nipponbare line – Oshox 4 line RM 1.1.1; control wild type Rojolele (non transgenic)|
|Source||Research Centre for Biotechnology – Indonesian Institute of Sciences (P2 Bioteknologi-LIPI), Indonesia|
|Subject||IRRI-IBC's endorsement of the proposal for NCBP approval|
|Requesting Party||Dr. Darshan S. Brar, Chairperson, IRRI-IBC|
|Action of NCBP||Approved for implementation|