|Project Title||Evaluation of Transgenic Rice Plants Engineered with Chitinase Genes for Sheath Blight Resistance|
|Project Type||Contained Use (Greenhouse)|
|Name of Institution||International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), Los Baños, Laguna|
|Cooperating Institution||ETH- Zurich Kansas, USA Zurich, Switzerland Department of Biochemistry, Kansas State University|
|Project Leader(s)||T. W. Mew, Plant Pathologist and Head, Entomology Division|
|Experimental Facility/Site||Philippines (IRRI)|
|Purpose / Objectives||1. To evaluate the resistance of transgenic rice engineered with chitinase genes to sheath blight.
2. To gather information on risk analysis of transgenic rice with host defense mechanism.
|Biosafety measures||1. The tested plants will be kept in isolation in the Phytotron Greenhouse to prevent
2. Panicles of flowering plants will be bagged to prevent release of pollen.
3. When transporting the plant materials and soils for microbial analysis, all materials will be placed in sealed plastic bags.
4. The plants will be destroyed and the pots and soil will be autoclaved at high temperatures and high pressure.
5. The seeds will be kept in hermetically sealed aluminum foil package, inside a sealed metal container and stored in the refrigerator that is properly locked.
6. All plant tissues will be incinerated and soil and water used in the experiment will be autoclaved.
|Conditions for Approval||N/A|
|Date of Approval||1994-04-08|
|Regulated Materials||100 gms Transgenic Rice Seeds Oryza sativa|
|Source||ETH- Zurich, Switzerland|
|Subject||Request of Dr. T Mew for permit to import transgenic rice seeds from ETH- Zurich Switzerland|
|Requesting Party||Dr. T Mew, IRRI Plant Pathologist|
|Action of NCBP||Approved for implementation
For issuance of permit to import 100 gms Transgenic Rice Seeds Oryza sativa by the Plant Quarantine Services, Bureau of Plant Industry.