|Project Title||Production of Transgenic Rice Towards Resistant to Rice Ragged Stunt Virus (RRSV)|
|Project Type||Contained Use (Laboratory)|
|Name of Institution||International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), Los Baños, Laguna|
|Cooperating Institution||CSIRO Division of Plant Industry, Canberra Australia|
|Project Leader(s)||Swapan K. Datta, Plant Biotechnologist|
|Experimental Facility/Site||IRRI, Philippines|
|Purpose / Objectives||To produce transgenic rice engineered with RRSV synthetic resistance gene
conferring resistance to rice ragged stunt virus.
|Biosafety measures||1. The tested plants will be kept in isolation in the Phytotron or transgenic greenhouse (CL4) to prevent escape of pollen and access by unauthorized personnel.
2. Panicles of flowering plants will be bagged as an additional precaution against escape of pollen.
3. Plant materials for disposal will be placed in sealed plastic bags and autoclaved prior to incineration.
4. Pots and soil will be autoclaved at high temperature and high pressure after use.
5. Transgenic seeds will be kept in hermetically sealed aluminum foil package, inside a sealed metal container and stored in locked refrigerators designated for storage of transgenic seeds in the Tissue Culture Laboratory.
6. All plant tissues will be incinerated and soil and water used in the experiment will be autoclaved.
|Conditions for Approval||N/A|
|Date of Approval||1994-10-26|
|Regulated Materials||pGA 1268 and pMNUS7-13 A/ pMNUS7- 13B|
|Source||CSIRO Division of Plant Industry, Canberra Australia|
|Subject||Request of Dr. S.K. Datta to import pGA 1268 and pMNUS7-13 A/ pMNUS7- 13B|
|Requesting Party||Dr. S.K. Datta, G.S. Khush, Virologist|
|Action of NCBP||Approved for implementation
For issuance of permit to import pGA 1268 and pMNUS7-13 A/ pMNUS7- 13B by the Plant Quarantine Services, Bureau of Plant Industry