|Project Title||Study in Screenhouse CS- 02 of Rice Genetically Engineered with Toxin Genes from Bacillus thuringiensis|
|Project Type||Contained Use (Screenhouse)|
|Name of Institution||International Rice Research Institute (IRRI)|
|Cooperating Institution||Department of Entomology, UP Los Banos|
|Project Leader(s)||Michael Cohen, Entomologist|
|Experimental Facility/Site||IRRI, Philippines|
|Purpose / Objectives||To determine if mixtures of Bt plants and non Bt plants within fields will function to slow the evolution of stem borer resistance to Bt toxin in transgenic plants.|
|Biosafety measures||1. The seeds will be kept in sealed plastic tubes and stored in a locked refrigerator in the Bt/ Entomology lab in the Lampe Laboratory.
2. The CSO2 screen house will be locked. A record of entries and departures will be kept.
3. A limited number of staff will work with the transgenic plants, and they will receive instruction on research and emergency measures.
4. The screening of CS02 is adequate to prevent the entry of birds, rats, and large- medium sized insects.
5. The coldroom of the Phytotron is under the supervision of Phytotron staff, and access to the room is restricted. The coldroom of BH04 is kept locked.
6. All plants will be harvested before booting stage, to prevent pollen formation and release, and will be promptly autoclaved after dissection.
7. Stem borers will be removed from plants and killed while still in the larval or pupal stage. Thus, no adult moths will escape.
8. Screen house CS02 will be designated for research associated with transgenic plants and will not be used for other research projects involving only conventional varieties.
|Conditions for Approval||N/A|
|Date of Approval||1996-08-14|
|Subject||Request of Dr. Michael Cohen to conduct study in Screen house CS- 02|
|Requesting Party||Dr. Michael Cohen, Entomologist, IRRI|
|Action of NCBP||Approved for implementation|