|Project Title||Production of Transgenic Rice with Xa- 21 Gene for Resistance to Bacterial Blight|
|Project Type||Contained Use (Laboratory)|
|Name of Institution||International Rice Research Institute (IRRI)|
|Cooperating Institution||Department of Plant Pathology, UP Los Banos, Davis|
|Project Leader(s)||Swapan K. Datta, Plant Biotechnologist|
|Experimental Facility/Site||IRRI, Philippines|
|Purpose / Objectives||1. To use product transgenic rice with Xa- 21 gene for resistance to bacterial blight.
2. To evaluate yield potential comparing yield of the transformed line with the untransformed line.
|Biosafety measures||1. The tested plants will be kept in isolation in the Phytotron or transgenic greenhouse to prevent escape of pollen and access by unauthorized personnel.
2. Panicles of flowering plants will be bagged as an additional precaution against escape of pollen.
3. Plant materials for disposal will be placed in sealed plastic bags and autoclaved prior to incineration.
4. Pots and soil will be autoclaved at high temperature and high pressure after use.
5. Transgenic seeds will be kept in hermetically sealed aluminum foil packages, inside a sealed metal container and stored in locked refrigerators/ chambers designated for storage of transgenic seeds in the Tissue Culture Laboratory of IRRI.
6. Soil and other plant tissues used in
the experiments will be autoclaved
|Conditions for Approval||N/A|
|Date of Approval||1997-02-10|
|Regulated Materials||10- 100 ug in microtubes of Xa- 21 gene|
|Source||Department of Plant Pathology, University of California, Davis, USA|
|Subject||Request of Dr. Swapan Datta to import 10- 100 ug in microtubes, Xa-21 gene.|
|Requesting Party||Dr. Swapan Datta, G.S. Khush, Plant Breeding and Genetics and Biochemistry Division|
|Action of NCBP||Approved for Implementation
For issuance of permit to import 10- 100 ug in microtubes of Xa- 21 gene
by the Plant Quarantine Services, Bureau of Plant Industry