|Project Title||Molecular Cloning of Amylase Gene(s) from Bacillus subtilis and its Expression in Escherichia coli|
|Project Type||Contained Use|
|Name of Institution||National Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology (BIOTECH),University of the Philippines Los Banos, College, Laguna,049-536-2721; 536-2724|
|Project Leader(s)||Reynaldo V. Ebora, University Researcher|
|Experimental Facility/Site||BIOTECH-UPLB, Laguna|
|Purpose / Objectives||1. To purify and characterize amylase enzyme from local Bacillus subtilis.
2. To clone and characterize the amylase gene from Bacillus subtilis.
3. To express the amylase gene (s) in E. coli and characterize the gene product.
4. To determine the fermentation conditions optimum for amylase production of the genetically- engineered E. coli.
|Biosafety measures||1. Containment capabilities
2. Sterilization Procedures
3. Personnel awareness of biosafety procedures
4. Labeling/ designation of “risk” areas
5. Decontamination facilities
6. “Biosafetiness” of equipment
|Conditions for Approval||N/A|
|Date of Approval||1996-12-12|
|Regulated Materials||SURE cells|
|Source||Stratagene Cloning Systems, North Toney Pine Road, La Jolla, California|
|Subject||Request of Dr. Ida Dalmacio to import SURE cells|
|Requesting Party||Dr. Ida Dalmacio, Chairperson, UPLB-IBC|
|Action of NCBP||Approved for Implementation
For issuance of permit to import SURE cells by the Plant Quarantine Services, Bureau of Plant Industry (BPI)