|Project Title||Transformation of E. coli JM109 with Plasmid Borne Bioluminiscent Gene (previously referred to as UNILAB Mobile Biotechnology Demonstration Laboratory)|
|Project Type||Contained Use|
|Name of Institution||United Laboratories, Inc. (UNILAB)|
|Cooperating Institution||Center for Biomolecular Science Foundation, Inc. (CBMS)|
|Supervising IBC||Center for Biomolecular Science Foundation, Inc. (CBMS)|
|Project Leader(s)||Lourdes J. Cruz, Professor|
|Experimental Facility/Site||UNILAB, Philippines|
|Purpose / Objectives||1. To introduce concepts of biotechnology to secondary schools via a series of games , poster exhibits, flyers, and demonstration experiments.
2. To teach basic tools and concepts of biotechnology through simple, hands- on, time- telescoped experiments.
|Biosafety measures||1. Containment capabilities
2. Sterilization Procedures
3. Personnel awareness of biosafety procedures
4. Labeling/ designation of “risk” areas
5. Decontamination facilities
6. “Biosafetiness” of equipment
7. Chloroform will not be used in any procedure/ process- and should be replaced with DiChloro Methane.
8. Polyethylene glycol or Glycerol will be used in place of degraded plasmid cells during demonstrations.
|Conditions for Approval||N/A|
|Date of Approval||1996-08-20|
|Regulated Materials||E. coli strain, JM 109|
|Subject||Request of Dr. Angelita Reyes for endorsement of the Proposal|
|Requesting Party||Dr. Angelita Reyes, Chairperson, CBMS- IBC|
|Action of NCBP||Approved for Implementation
For issuance of permit to import E. coli strain JM 109 by the Plant Quarantine Services, Bureau of Plant Industry