|Project Title||Comparative Study of Rice Lines Engineered with Bacillus thuringiensis Gene Constructs Via Agrobacterium- mediated Transformation|
|Project Type||Contained Use (Greenhouse)|
|Name of Institution||International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), Los Baños, Laguna|
|Cooperating Institution||University of Ottawa, Canada|
|Project Leader(s)||Michael Cohen, Entomologist|
|Experimental Facility/Site||IRRI, Philippines|
|Purpose / Objectives||1. To evaluate rice lines transformed with Agrobacterium- mediated transformation with endotoxin genes from Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) for enhanced insect resistance.
2. To determine which constructs provide the best control of striped stem borer SSB), Chilo suppressalis, yellow stem borer (YSB), Scirpophaga incertulas, and two species of leaffolders, Chnaphalacrocis medinalis and Marasmia patnalis
|Biosafety measures||1. The seeds will be kept in sealed plastic containers in a locked refrigerator.
2. Plants will be grown only in the CL4 greenhouse or the biosafety room of greenhouse BG08.
3. Plants grown in BG08 will be destroyed after the booting stage.
4. At the flowering stage, every panicle of plants in the CL4 will be bagged to prevent cross- pollination or escape of pollen.
5. Plants used in the experiment will be destroyed by incineration after use.
6. Mobile stages of insects (i.e. stem borer and leaf folder adults) will be kept in cages and destroyed by incineration after use.
|Conditions for Approval||N/A|
|Date of Approval||1997-05-30|
|Regulated Materials||Transgenic rice seeds engineered with Bacillus thuringiensis constructs (20 pcs. Zhong- 2, 20 pcs. K1, 10 pcs. RM34, 5 pcs. RM43 and 16 pcs. T43)|
|Subject||Letter of Dr. F.A. Bernardo endorsing the request of Dr. Michael Cohen to import transgenic rice seeds engineered with Bacillus thuringiensis constructs (20 pcs. Zhong- 2, 20 pcs. K1, 10 pcs. RM34, 5 pcs. RM43 and 16 pcs. T43)|
|Requesting Party||Dr. F.A. Bernardo, Deputy Director General for International Services/ IRRI, IRRI|
|Action of NCBP||Approved for Implementation
For issuance of permit to import transgenic rice seeds engineered with Bacillus thuringiensis constructs (20 pcs. Zhong- 2, 20 pcs. K1, 10 pcs. RM34, 5 pcs. RM43 and 16 pcs. T43) by the Plant Quarantine Services, Bureau of Plant Industry (BPI)