|Project Title||Evaluation of Transgenic Rice Plants Engineered with Xa- 21 Gene for Bacterial Blight Resistance|
|Project Type||Contained Use (Screenhouse)|
|Name of Institution||International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), Los Baños, Laguna|
|Cooperating Institution||University of California, Davis, USA;|
|Project Leader(s)||T. W. Mew, Plant Pathologist and Head, Entomology Division|
|Experimental Facility/Site||IRRI, Philippines|
|Purpose / Objectives||1. To evaluate the transgenic rice seeds engineered with Xa- 21 for resistance to bacterial blight.
2. To assess horizontal gene flow to non- target rice plants.
3. To gather epidemiological information for risk analysis of transgenic rice.
|Biosafety measures||1. The test plants will be kept in isolation in assigned screen house and access of unauthorized personnel will be restricted.
2. When transporting the plant materials and soils for microbial and other analysis, all materials will be placed in sealed plastic bags.
3. After the analysis, the transported plants will be autoclaved at high temperature and high pressure.
4. Transgenic seeds will be kept in hermetically sealed aluminum foil packages, inside a sealed metal container and stored in locked refrigerators designated for storage of transgenic seed in IRRI’s Tissue Culture Laboratory.
|Conditions for Approval||N/A|
|Date of Approval||1998-06-17|
|Regulated Materials||transgenic rice seeds with Xa- 21|
|Source||University of California, Davis|
|Subject||Letter of Dr. Paul Teng for permit to import transgenic rice seeds with Xa- 21|
|Requesting Party||Dr. Paul Teng,International Rice Research Institute (IRRI),International Rice Research Institute (IRRI)|
|Action of NCBP||Approved for implementation
For issuance of permit to import transgenic rice seeds with Xa- 21 by the Plant Quarantine Services, Bureau of Plant Industry.