|Project Title||Agrobacterium- mediated transfer of gusA Reporter Gene Driven by Tapetum- specific A9 and osg6B Promoters to Indica Rice and Tobacco|
|Project Type||Contained Use (Greenhouse)|
|Name of Institution||Philippine Rice Research Institute (PhilRice),Maligaya, Science City of Muñoz, Nueva Ecija,(044) 456-0426/0415 ext. 259|
|Cooperating Institution||Center for the Application of Molecular Biology to International Agriculture (CAMBIA) Canberra, Australia|
|Project Leader(s)||Nenita V. Desamero, Supervising Science Research Specialist|
|Experimental Facility/Site||PhilRice, Nueva Ecija, Philippines|
|Purpose / Objectives||1. To transform indica rice and tobacco with chimeric plasmids containing the tapetum specific A9 promoter- gusA and osg6B promoter- gusA gene fusions.
2. To evaluate expressions of gusA gene driven by tapetum- specific A9 and osg6B promoters in transgenic rice and tobacco.
|Biosafety measures||1. Transgenic plants will be kept in
the greenhouse which is locked all the time to prevent entry of unauthorized personnel.
2. Panicles and flower clusters of transgenic rice and tobacco, respectively, will be bagged before anthesis to prevent pollen dispersal and contamination.
3. Plant tissue and flower samples for analysis will be transported in sealed plastic bags inside an ice chest from the glasshouse to the Genetic Transformation and Tissue Culture Laboratory.
4. The test plants and used soil will be incinerated/ sterilized upon termination of the experiments.
5. Harvested seeds from transgenic plants will be sealed in plastic bags, properly labeled, and kept in a sealed container, in isolation with other seeds.
6. Harvested seeds from transgenic plants will be disposed properly (by autoclaving before disposing) when no longer needed.
|Conditions for Approval||N/A|
|Date of Approval||1999-05-17|
|Regulated Materials||Transgenic rice seeds and in vitro regenerative putative transgenic tobacco plants|
|Source||Center for the Application of Molecular Biology to International Agriculture (CAMBIA) Canberra, Australia|
|Subject||Request of Dr. Philbert Bonilla for proposal endorsement and for permit to import transgenic rice seeds and in vitro regenerative putative transgenic tobacco plants|
|Requesting Party||Dr. Philbert Bonilla, Chairman, PHILRICE- IBC|
|Action of NCBP||Approved for Implementation
For issuance of permit to import transgenic rice seeds and in vitro regenerative putative transgenic tobacco plants by the Plant Quarantine Services, Bureau of Plant Industry.