|Project Title||Establishment of a Model Biolistics- Based Transformation System of Cultured Plant Cells and Tissues for the Development of Philippine Banana Cultivars through Transgenic Applications|
|Project Type||Contained Use (Laboratory)|
|Name of Institution||National Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology (NIMBB), UP Diliman, Quezon City|
|Cooperating Institution||Department of Science and Technology (DOST),Gen. Santos Ave., Bicutan, Taguig, M. Mla.|
|Supervising IBC||UP Diliman-IBC|
|Project Leader(s)||Surya K. Manohar, Associate Professor|
|Experimental Facility/Site||UP Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines|
|Purpose / Objectives||1. To establish banana tissue culture facility at NIMBB- UPD.
2. To establish callus cultures from banana/corn tissue.
3. To establish micropropagated banana tissue culture.
4. To establish protocols for obtaining embryogenic cell cultures from banana.
5. To establish protocols for obtaining protoplasts and protoplast cultures.
6. To establish a working protocol for transformation of banana tissue and cells via DNA coated particle delivery using BIORAD PDS- 1000 apparatus.
7. To establish a protocol for regeneration of banana from culture tissue.
8. Evaluating transient and stable transformation in banana tissues by reporter gene assay.
|Biosafety measures||1. Containment capability of laboratory
2. Sterilization procedures
3. Personnel awareness of biosafety procedures
4. Labelling/ designation of “risk” areas
5. “Biosafetiness” of equipment
|Conditions for Approval||The committee has approved the conduct of the experiments, subject to compliance with the provisions in the biosafety guidelines, specifically the required level of containment (BL1) and autoclaving and incineration of plant tissues and soil used in the experiment.|
|Date of Approval||1999-11-03|
|Subject||Request of Dr. Elma Llaguno for proposal endorsement|
|Requesting Party||Dr. Elma Llaguno, Chairman, UP Diliman IBC|
|Action of NCBP||Approved for implementation|