|Project Title||Improvement of the Nutritional Quality of Philippine Rice Varieties Through the Introduction of B-carotene (Provitamin A) Genes|
|Project Type||Contained Use (Glasshouse)|
|Name of Institution||Philippine Rice Research Institute (PhilRice),Maligaya, Science City of Muñoz, Nueva Ecija,(044) 456-0426/0415 ext. 259|
|Cooperating Institution||ETH, Zurich, Switzerland;
International Rice Research Institute (IRRI);
University of Freiburg, Germany;
|Project Leader(s)||Leocadio Sebastian, Executive Director|
|Experimental Facility/Site||PhilRice, Munoz, Nueva Ecija, Philippines|
|Purpose / Objectives||1. To produce transgenic indica rice lines carrying the genes phytoene synthase (psy), phytoene desaturase (crt1) and lycopene cyclase (lyc) for â - carotene (provitamin A) biosynthesis in rice endosperm.
2. To transfer the â - carotene genes from transgenic japonica cultivar Taipei 309 to elicit rice varieties and breeding lines in the Philippines.
|Biosafety measures||1. Transgenic plants and F1 plants derived from crosses between transgenic and non- transgenic plants will be kept in isolation and in CL2 glasshouse.
2. Panicles and flower clusters of the transgenic rice plants will be bagged before anthesis to prevent pollen dispersal and contamination.
3. Plant tissue samples for analysis will be transported in sealed plastic bags inside an ice chest from the glasshouse to the laboratory.
4. The test plants and soil used will be incinerated/ sterilized upon termination of the experiments.
5.Seeds harvested from transgenic plants and F1 plants will be sealed in aluminum foil packages, properly labeled and stored in a secured isolated place.
6. When no longer needed, seeds from transgenic plants will be destroyed by autoclaving and disposed properly.
|Conditions for Approval||N/A|
|Date of Approval||2000-02-18|
|Regulated Materials||Gene construct (psy, lyc, crt/) driven by 35SP or Gt1 promoters and transgenic T309 seeds containing the genes (psy, lyc, crt/)|
|Source||ETH, Zurich, Switzerland|
|Subject||Request of Dr. Philbert Bonilla for permit to import gene construct (psy, lyc, crt/) driven by 35SP or Gt1 promoters and transgenic T309 seeds containing the genes (psy, lyc, crt/)|
|Requesting Party||Dr. Philbert Bonilla, Chairman, PHILRICE- IBC|
|Action of NCBP||Approved for Implementation
For issuance of permit to import gene construct (psy, lyc, crt/) driven by 35SP or Gt1 promoters and transgenic T309 seeds containing the genes (psy, lyc, crt/) by the Plant Quarantine Services, Bureau of Plant Industry.